Saturday, September 12, 2009

Elementary Blogging

Technology is a field that opens many opportunities to elementary students. We are now learning and adapting our ways of teaching to incorporate this important part of education.
Blogs can be a wonderful tool for reinforcing information that has started in the classroom.
I have a few siblings that are in elementary school and have participated in classes online in which they have discussions with students all over the country about their weekly topic in class.
This is really exciting for students in the higher elementary grades as well as early high school.
Allowing students to use a tool like a blog can really bring real life into their education and school experience.
I think blogs are wonderful for discussions in english or literature. Teachers can assign a blog topic that has been built upon the discussion that occurred in class that day. Students can take a break from their mundane homework and jump on their computer to voice their opinion with their peers on their blog.
This is a great alternative for live discussion because it is another way for students to comfortably take part in group discussions. Even for myself, as a college student, I am not always comfortable talking in class. However, once I have a blank white computer screen in front of me, I can go on and on!
Blogs simply allow students to voice their knowledge in a different way then their everyday classroom style.
Another way blogs can be effective for education is for homework help. It is easy for students to simply sign on their blog and say, I can't figure out this math word problem! All of their peers, as well as their teachers, can help them in completing the problem. Perhaps the teacher can give a time limit as to when the students can ask questions so he or she can properly answer them at one time each night.
Blogs are definitely a wonderful reinforcement for a variety of ages and I think it is really effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment