Friday, October 30, 2009

Interactive Whiteboards

When I first started using a Smart Board (interactive white board), I was terrified. It looked extremely confusing and too "high-tech" for me. However, I have had some opportunities to use the Smart Board in my classes and I love it! It is such a valuable tool to have in the classroom. In lesson plans I have written in the past, I have incorporated Smart Boards for reinforcement and for examples or practice work. It is very convenient to have and students really love using it. Of course, there are downsides, as there is to most technology, but with a little practice and an open mind, it can really change the minds of students and teachers. One thing that is hard to get used to on a Smart Board is the specific details of the touch screen, sometimes it is frustrating when certain things move that you don't want to move, or the items you want to move refuse to. Students can also take advantage of the Smart Board but I think that should be involved in the initial rules of the classroom and the classroom climate.
I think the Smartboard is great to work with for worksheets, showing students answers, and having a universal manipulative available at all times for students to use throughout a lesson. I have used the Smartboard in lessons on math, using pictures and manipulatives to help understanding. I have used it with language arts, students can play tons of word games, do word sorts, and solve puzzles. It is also great for demonstrations. If students are learning something new, they can easily all have a chance to work on the Smartboard before doing independent or group work in any subject.
Interactive Whiteboards can be scary initially, but I really think that if we give them a fair chance, our students will excel greatly. It is a wonderful tool that really should be available in every classroom, teachers and kids will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment