Monday, November 9, 2009

Copyright Laws

Before discussing the subject of copyrighting and laws, I was completely unaware of the intricate details of the laws and the multiple gray areas. There are clear laws concerning copyrighting but it seems to me that the gray areas override the subjective parts. The law that surprised me the most was the law concerning copyrighting sayings or catch phrases. However, once I thought about it, I realized there is probably so many people that would try to copyright their phrase that the world would be overwhelmed with copyright laws and regulations. I am also glad that Paris Hilton was prohibited from copyrighting her phrase, "That's hot" because what would I say after touching a pot that just came off of the stove? She doesn't need any more publicity. Anyway, I only skimmed the surface of copyright laws but I did learn things that I did not know before.
I cannot think of any specific experience I have had with a teacher and copyright laws. However, I'm sure it occurred countless times. Copyright laws are so detailed that it is really hard for people to understand and practice fair use. Teachers constantly copy products and hand them out to students, but the students are not always aware of the domain of the product.
I definitely have a responsibility as a teacher to respect copyright in the products I use in my class. I think teachers should have a poster of copyright rules in their classroom for students to reference, I would find it helpful as well. If students are aware of the copyright laws and practice them at a young age, it will prevent many possible issues in this area.
It is very tempting for teachers to copy materials to save money for themselves, the school, and the students. However, if it is against the law, it's against the law. Teachers need to set an example of respect and obedience to the law. This is just one example of showing that. If the teacher explains the copyright rules to his/her students when handing out a copied work (or not), it will help students to apply these laws to their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment